In this post, we go over how to make angostura bitters at home.
What are Homemade Bitters?
Homemade bitters, a key ingredient in cocktail making. Serve as a powerful flavor enhancer. To create homemade bitters, a mixture of herbs, spices, and other elements are infused in high proof alcohol. Incorporating bitters into cocktails allows mixologists to enhance the complexity and depth of flavors. Especially in classic drinks like the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan. Additionally. These natural flavoring agents can also be added to non alcoholic beverages and culinary creations.
How to Make Angostura Bitters at Home
Angostura bitters are an essential ingredient in many classic cocktails, such as the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan. These bitters are made by steeping a variety of herbs and spices in high proof alcohol resulting in a concentrated flavoring agent. While Angostura bitters can easily be purchased at liquor stores creating your own at home can be an enjoyable and fulfilling endeavor. In this blog post we will delve into the process of making Angostura bitters from scratch.
To make Angostura bitters.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of high proof rum (with a minimum proof of 151)
- 2 tablespoons of dried orange peel
- 1 tablespoon of dried lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon of cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of dried gentian root
- 1 tablespoon of dried angelica root
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A quarter teaspoon grated nutmeg
- A quarter teaspoon anise seeds
- A quarter teaspoon fennel seeds
Here are the instructions to make your own Angostura bitters:
- Combine all the ingredients into a clean jar.
Securely cover the jar and shake it well to blend all the ingredients together.
- Place the jar in a cool and dark location for approximately two weeks remembering to shake it every few days. 4.
After two weeks have passed strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into another clean jar.
- Repeat this straining process until the liquid becomes clear.
Transfer the strained liquid into small bottles and store them in a cool. Dark place. Here are some tips to consider while making Angostura bitters:
- It is vital to use high proof rum that contains at least 151 proof. As this will help to extract the flavors from the herbs and spices effectively. – It is advisable to use dried herbs and spices instead of fresh ones. As dried ingredients provide better results. – You may encounter difficulty in finding gentian root and angelica root. In such cases. You can consider ordering them online or visiting a specialty spice shop. – Allow the bitters to sit for a minimum of two weeks to allow the flavors to fully develop.
In conclusion. Crafting your own Angostura bitters at home offers an enjoyable experience that enables you to explore various flavor combinations. Creating your own unique flavor profile in your cocktails can be achieved by steeping a variety of herbs and spices in high proof rum. This process allows for the depth and complexity of flavors to emerge. It is important to exercise patience and allow the bitters to sit for a minimum of two weeks. Ensuring that their flavor fully develops. Enjoy the delightful experience of mixing with your homemade bitters!
Here are some resources I recommend:
120 Alcoholic Drinks for Connoisseurs shows you over one hundred unique alcoholic drinks to make and show off to your friends and have a night you won’t forget.
Professional Bartender Kit is a must-have collection for anyone interested in bartending, mixology, or someone who loves to make drinks.
RUBY Decanter w/ Built-in Aerator is easily the best on the market that we recommend.
8oz Premium Flask for when you’re going out and don’t want to blow all your money on drinks.
Stainless Steel Cooling Stones for keeping your drinks cold and classy.
Bartending & Mixology Masterclass teaches you everything you need to know about mixing drinks and alcoholic beverages like a professional.