In this post, we go over how to make an old fashioned without bitters.
What are Homemade Bitters?
Homemade bitters, a key ingredient in cocktail making. Serve as a powerful flavor enhancer. To create homemade bitters, a mixture of herbs, spices, and other elements are infused in high proof alcohol. Incorporating bitters into cocktails allows mixologists to enhance the complexity and depth of flavors. Especially in classic drinks like the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan. Additionally. These natural flavoring agents can also be added to non alcoholic beverages and culinary creations.
How to Make an Old Fashioned Without Bitters
The Old Fashioned is a cocktail that has a rich history dating back to the 1800s. It traditionally includes whiskey, sugar, water, and bitters. However, what if you find yourself without any bitters? Is it still possible to enjoy an Old Fashioned? In this blog post we will explore different alternatives to bitters and discover how to create a delightful Old Fashioned even without them.
Lets’ understand what bitters are. Bitters are concentrated flavorings made from a combination of herbs, spices, and other ingredients infused in high proof alcohol. They are commonly used in cocktails to enhance complexity and depth of flavor.
The most popular type of bitters used in an Old Fashioned is Angostura bitters. If you don’t have any bitters on hand or prefer not to use them for your Old Fashioned recipe there are alternatives available.
Here are some options:
- Orange Peel: An excellent substitute for bitters is orange peel.
Simply twist a piece of orange peel over the cocktail and rub it around the rim of the glass before dropping it in. The oils from the peel will infuse the drink with a vibrant citrus taste.
- Lemon Peel: Similar to orange peel. Lemon peel can be used as a replacement for bitters.
Just twist a piece of lemon peel over your cocktail and run it around the rim of the glass before adding it in. The lemon peel will add a refreshing and tangy flavor profile.
- Muddled Fruit: Another method to infuse flavor into an Old Fashioned without using bitters is by muddling fruit.
Fresh berries, cherries, or even pineapple can be crushed with sugar and water to create a fruity and flavorful base for your cocktail.
- Aperitif or Vermouth: If you happen to have an aperitif or vermouth on hand.
You can substitute a small amount of either for bitters.
Aperitifs and vermouths are fortified wines that possess bitter or herbal characteristics.
Making them suitable alternatives. Exploring other choices can still allow you to delight in an exquisite Old Fashioned even if you do not possess traditional bitters at your disposal. Should you discover your drink excessively sweet or lacking depth ponder adding minor amounts of alternative ingredients for better flavor equilibrium. Let me guide you on crafting an Old Fashioned sans bitters:
To commence this endeavor gather these components:
- 2 oz whiskey
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Orange or lemon zest (or mashed fruit)
- Optional: Aperitif or vermouth
Follow these directions accordingly:
- In an Old Fashioned glass. Blend the sugar and water. 2. Integrate the orange or lemon zest (or mashed fruit) and gently bruise to extract their essence. 3. Deposit ice into the glass. 4. Pour the whiskey over the ice and thoroughly stir. 5. Should you desire, incorporate a small amount of aperitif or vermouth into the concoction and stir. 6. Decorate with additional fruit or a cherry as a garnish if so inclined. In conclusion. While bitters are pivotal to an Old Fashioned cocktail. Alternate options do exist in the event of their absence. The inclusion of orange or lemon zest, mashed fruit. As well as aperitifs or vermouths can all contribute to enhancing the intricate nature of your libation. Feel free to experiment with diverse flavor amalgamations and craft your own distinctive variation of this timeless classic drink.
Here are some resources I recommend:
120 Alcoholic Drinks for Connoisseurs shows you over one hundred unique alcoholic drinks to make and show off to your friends and have a night you won’t forget.
Professional Bartender Kit is a must-have collection for anyone interested in bartending, mixology, or someone who loves to make drinks.
RUBY Decanter w/ Built-in Aerator is easily the best on the market that we recommend.
8oz Premium Flask for when you’re going out and don’t want to blow all your money on drinks.
Stainless Steel Cooling Stones for keeping your drinks cold and classy.
Bartending & Mixology Masterclass teaches you everything you need to know about mixing drinks and alcoholic beverages like a professional.