In this post, we go over how you make tepache.
What is Tepache?
Tepache, a beloved Mexican drink is prepared by fermenting pineapple, water, and spices. It is commonly sweetened with piloncillo, an unprocessed sugar and can be enjoyed either as a delightful non alcoholic beverage or as an alcoholic concoction through fermentation.
How Do You Make Tepache?
Tepache is a cherished traditional Mexican beverage that has been enjoyed for centuries. This delightful drink is made by fermenting pineapple, water, and spices. Often sweetened with piloncillo, an unrefined sugar. Through the fermentation process.
Beneficial bacteria are produced, which can enhance our gut health.
Boost our immune system.
And reduce inflammation.
In this blog post we will explore how to create Tepache in the comfort of your own home.
To make Tepache.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 peeled and chopped pineapple (remember to reserve the peel)
- 1 cup of piloncillo or brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 4 cloves
- 1 gallon of water
Here are the instructions:
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
Once it reaches a boil add the piloncillo or brown sugar and stir until it has fully dissolved.
- Add the pineapple peel, cinnamon stick, and cloves to the pot. 3. Reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for approximately 20 30 minutes.
Remove the pot from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Take a large glass jar or pitcher and add in the chopped pineapple.
Pour the cooled liquid over the pineapple.
- Cover the jar or pitcher with a clean cloth or paper towel secured with a rubber band. 8. Let this mixture sit at room temperature for around 2 3 days remembering to give it an occasional stir. 9.After this time period has passed. Taste your Tepache. And if its too sweet you may choose continue fermenting for another day or two. If its’ just right. Sour enough. It is ready for consumption! 10.Strain your Tepache using either a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth in order to remove the pineapple and spices. 11.Finally. Serve your Tepache over ice and savor its deliciousness! If you are eager to give Tepache a try at home. Here are some helpful tips:
- Opt for ripe sweet pineapples to ensure a fantastic flavor. 2. Do not discard the pineapple peel as it contains natural yeasts that aid in the fermentation process. 3. It is crucial to utilize clean and sanitized equipment during preparation to avoid any contamination. 4. Don’t forget to periodically stir your Tepache as it ferments, which will evenly distribute the yeast and sugar.
We hope you enjoy making and drinking Tepache as much as we do! To conclude, Tepache emerges as both an delectable and healthful libation that can readily come to life within the confines of your domestic space. By leveraging just a handful of uncomplicated components while adopting an unwavering stance during the fermentation journey, you shall bear witness to an extraordinary creation – one characterized by its harmonious symbiosis between saccharine nuances and acidity; culminating in sheer magnificence, guaranteed to satiate even during the most ardent heatwaves. Therefore, it would serve you well to embark upon this gustatory voyage – trust me when I say that disappointment will find no place within it.
Here are some resources I recommend:
120 Alcoholic Drinks for Connoisseurs shows you over one hundred unique alcoholic drinks to make and show off to your friends and have a night you won’t forget.
Professional Bartender Kit is a must-have collection for anyone interested in bartending, mixology, or someone who loves to make drinks.
RUBY Decanter w/ Built-in Aerator is easily the best on the market that we recommend.
8oz Premium Flask for when you’re going out and don’t want to blow all your money on drinks.
Stainless Steel Cooling Stones for keeping your drinks cold and classy.
Bartending & Mixology Masterclass teaches you everything you need to know about mixing drinks and alcoholic beverages like a professional.