Skip to content

Are whiskey casks a good investment?


    The question is: Are whiskey casks a good investments?

    How Are Whiskey Casks a Good Investment

    Whisky is a good long-term investment and is satisfying as a learning experience and an investment if it’s done right.

    The returns on whisky have traditionally been positive, and there’s no indication that this trend will alter. However, the whisky market is growing due to increasing international

    demand. Furthermore, whisky’s natural increases in value as it ages for three primary reasons. So what causes whisky to increase in value as it gets older?

    There is a rise in quality and quality for single malt whisky as it ages. Due to interactions with the atmosphere and cask, whisky made from single malt will increase in its quality as it matures and adds layers of flavor and depth to the spirit as well as increasing its smoothness. There is no substitute for the time spent in the whisky business. Therefore an older cask is always valuable.

    The massive rise in the scarcity of casks when they are more than 10 years older. At the point that a barrel is 10 years old, around 90 percent of the casks that were filled at the same time will be utilized. This means that the amount of the remaining 10 percent rises and will continue to increase as the remaining proportion shrinks.

    The angels get their portion each year. Around 2% of the barrel’s contents go to waste yearly due to evaporation and loss by the casks, called the angel’s share. This means that older casks have less whisky inside them and, once more, the scarcity will increase in value.

    Is it worth it to buy an old whisky barrel?

    The purchase of a whisky cask can be a satisfying experience as an investment. The purchase of a whisky cask that is Mark Littler comes with an array of benefits, such as the opportunity to visit your cask draw bottles (if you’d like) and to generally relish the entire experience of owning an old whisky bottle.

    If you’re in search of an investment opportunity that provides more than numbers on paper, then the whisky cask is definitely an investment worth making. However, there are some things to think about before buying whisky casks.


    Is a whisky cask the best investment for me?

    Do you have the money to leave the money over 10-15 to 20 years? A whisky cask is a long-term venture, particularly if you’re considering the investment as a way to invest. This is because whisky casks are easy to sell. However, selling a cask will not be fast. Therefore if you require cash within the time frame, or need to get it fast, then a different kind of investment could be better suited for you.

    Do you have to enjoy whisky to have an alcoholic beverage? The occasional dram of whisky isn’t an essential requirement for owning a cask. It’s a great addition to the experience. However, whisky casks aren’t only for whisky lovers. Do you not know the difference between your Speyside and your Islay? That’s fine. We’ll be able to advise you on the correct cask to suit the price and budget.

    Do you clearly understand the tax implications and the cost associated with it? Of course, like any investment, one should know all the details when buying a bottle of whisky. For instance, do you know the expected storage and insurance expenses? Also, if you’re thinking of the bottling of your cask (not something we personally suggest), Do you know of the costs, taxes, and licenses required for bottling?

    As long as the funds you put into the barrel can be refunded throughout the investment and you’ve done your homework, there’s no reason not to buy a whisky cask.

    Here are some resources I recommend:

    120 Alcoholic Drinks for Connoisseurs shows you over one hundred unique alcoholic drinks to make and show off to your friends and have a night you won’t forget.

    Professional Bartender Kit is a must-have collection for anyone interested in bartending, mixology, or someone who loves to make drinks.

    RUBY Decanter w/ Built-in Aerator is easily the best on the market that we recommend.

    8oz Premium Flask for when you’re going out and don’t want to blow all your money on drinks.

    Stainless Steel Cooling Stones for keeping your drinks cold and classy.

    Bartending & Mixology Masterclass teaches you everything you need to know about mixing drinks and alcoholic beverages like a professional.